Audi comes to race in Lausitz region as DTM leader
Markus Winkelhock started Audi career at EuroSpeedway
String of pole positions by Audi and Timo Scheider
The EuroSpeedway is the “youngest” circuit on the DTM schedule. Audi has the chance to continue its impressive series of pole positions and to defend its lead of the standings. Here are all the key facts on the fourth round of the 2008 DTM at a glance.
Did you know that …
- the 2008-spec Audi A4 DTM remains unbeaten in qualifying, despite carrying considerable ballast weight, and has the chance to clinch its fourth consecutive pole position at the EuroSpeedway?
- Audi set the best time in qualifying for the eighth time in a row in Italy and has been undefeated in this discipline since July 2007?
- Audi – before the round at the EuroSpeedway – has thus clinched its 40th pole position in the DTM (including invitation races) since 1990?
- DTM leader Timo Scheider in the Audi A4 DTM started from pole position at each of the previous three races of the 2008 season?
- Scheider with a fifth-place finish last year, after a chaotic race for which only half the points were awarded, was the best Audi driver?
- Audi, with Mattias Ekström after Hockenheim and Timo Scheider since Oschersleben, has been consistently leading the standings in the 2008 season?
- the EuroSpeedway Lausitz, after the modification of the first corner, became slower in the 2007 season by approx. 2.1 seconds per lap and 2.7 kph on average when comparing the fastest race lap with the one from the year 2006?
- this fastest race lap in the Lausitz region last year was achieved by Mattias Ekström?
- the Swede performed this feat despite the fact that his Audi A4 DTM weighed in at 1084 kilograms with 14 kilograms of ballast, which made his – as well as the other 2007-spec A4 DTM vehicles – the heaviest car in the field?
- Mattias Ekström clinched as many as five and Tom Kristensen as many as three podium results at the EuroSpeedway?
- Audi celebrated victory there in 2004 and 2005, and both of them with Mattias Ekström?
- Audi before the race in the Lausitz region can reduce some of its weight for the first time in the 2008 season, but – at 1055 kilograms – the new A4 DTM remains the heaviest car in the field nonetheless?
- Markus Winkelhock, standing in for Tom Kristensen, at the EuroSpeedway one year ago drove his first DTM race for Audi?
- the EuroSpeedway Lausitz with an average turnout of 68,833 spectators at all DTM events since 2000 is an extremely popular circuit?
- Audi Motorsport