I have yet to take a ride/drive in the new Audi Q5 but they look great. I first laid my eyes on a few at the 12 Hours of Sebring. The Audi Q5 does not stick out so much in the small SUV crowd but it is very nice. If you thinking about one, read on for the full USA specs.
Key Summary Points
- Audi Q5 3.2 Premium quattro MSRP: $37,200
- The Audi Q5 builds on the foundation established by the Audi Q7, and strengthens the brand’s presence in the crossover segment.
- The Audi Q5 is offered with a 3.2 V6 FSI direct injection engine, quattro® all wheel drive, and six-speed Tiptronic transmission.
- The Audi Q5 is the first Audi offering with Generation 3 MMI, and navigation with real-time SIRIUS traffic information.
- Safety is a top priority, with an IIHS ‘Top Safety Pick’ signifying top front/side/rear crash ratings, as well as five star NHTSA front and side ratings.
Competitive Advantage Summary
- Best-in-class EPA fuel economy ratings of 18 mpg city / 20 mpg combined.
- Best-in-class 4,400 pound towing capacity (others have 3,500 lbs or less).
- Longest wheelbase in its class.
- 3G MMI shows latest evolution of 3D navigation, joystick control for navigation map destination finding, updated graphical clarity, SIRIUS artist/title preview, SIRIUS traffic-based navigation, voice-based destination input control, and voice inputs such as ‘I’m hungry,’ ‘I need money,’ ‘I need gas’ and ‘I need coffee’ that will point to closest options within current vicinity.
- Audi drive select option (unique to segment) helps the driver customize engine/throttle mapping, transmission shift characteristics, steering, and suspension.
- Innovative ESP system recognizes when the roof rail crossbars are in place, and adjusts accordingly.
- Standard quattro all-wheel drive with rear-biased 40/60 asymmetrical system.
- 3-zone climate control standard – unique.
- Standard 12-way power front seats with leather seating surfaces throughout.
- Standard rear reclining / sliding seats – unique.
- 40/60 split rear seats fold from levers located inside rear cargo area.
- Large center pass-through area built within the split fold rear seats – unique.
- Superior interior storage spaces, including 1 liter bottle holders in each door.
- Clamshell shape rear trunklid opening allows low and wide rear cargo entry point, and a very clean design execution for exterior rear lighting area.
- Electronic dipstick allows customers to check the oil from inside the cabin.
- The Audi Q5 belongs to the IHG Small SUV segment, which is forecasted to grow dramatically over the next few years as new entrants arrive and customers replace their luxury sedans for luxury crossovers.
- Key competitors are the Acura RDX, BMW X3, Infiniti EX35, Land Rover LR2 HSE, previous generation Lexus RX350, Mercedes Benz GLK350, and the Volvo XC60.
- Based on the current Audi A4 platform on Audi’s Modular Longitudinal Build (Kit).
- Sporty proportions and muscular stance due to long wheelbase and wide body.
- Reduced front and rear overhang adds to visual sportiness.
- Elimination of roof joint strip that lends to high visual quality and minimized airflow.
- Typical Audi interior design is modern and sophisticated, clear attention to detail.
- Standard 18’ wheels (235/60 all-season tires), full body monochromatic paint, LED taillights, and aluminum exterior trim.
- New modular chassis architecture with a longer wheelbase and a wider track
- Blending four cars into one, Audi drive select adapts the dynamics of the Audi Q5 to suit the driving experience you desire. The system controls the adaptive suspension, the dynamic steering, the transmission shift characteristics, and the engine response. Four operating modes are available: Comfort, Automatic, Dynamic, and Individual, which allows a custom response profile.
- Consistent use of high-strength and ultra-high strength steel grades for a highly rigid occupant cell with optimized deformation properties.
- Hood and tailgate made from aluminum for lower weight and reduced opening and closing forces.
- Extensive aluminum suspension componentry to reduce unsprung weight and enhance steering feel.
- Compact trapezoidal-link rear suspension which enables a low cargo load floor and high luggage capacity.
- 3.2L V6 specifications:
- quattro® AWD – latest generation with asymmetric rear-biased torque split (40/60)
- Tiptronic fast-shifting six-speed automatic transmission with Sport mode.
- Towing preparation standard; hardware available through dealer accessory purchase.
o FSI direct injection
o Audi Valvelift System (AVS) variable intake valve lift
o 270hp @ 6500 rpm
o 243 lb-ft @ 3000 rpm
o Track: front – 63.7 inches / rear – 63.5 inches
o 0-60 mph in 6.7 seconds (USA estimated)
- All U.S. cars have towing preparation standard, which includes trailer brake controller wiring for use with trailers over 1500 lbs.
- A trailer hitch receiver for the Audi Q5 is available through all authorized Audi dealers with a total capacity of 4,400 lbs.
- Audi Q5 is best-in-class regarding towing capacity.
o Acura RDX = 1500 lbs
o BMW X3 = 3500 lbs
o Land Rover LR2 = 3500 lbs
o Lexus RX = 3500 lbs
o Mercedes GLK = 3500 lbs
o Infiniti EX = towing not recommended
o Volvo XC60 = 3307 lbs
Innovations and available features
- MMI operating logic standard (with central display screen)
- Audi side assist blind spot protection
- Dynamic ESP configuration (on road, off road, and roof cargo configurations)
- Power tailgate
- Audi Intelligent Key – stores service information in the key
- Audi advanced key keyless entry and starting
- Audi music interface – world renowned iPod connectivity
- Bluetooth hands-free telephone interface
- Mercury-free Audi xenon plus headlamps with LED daytime running lights
- LED tail lamps within clean design rear clamshell trunklid
- Audi parking system advanced with rearview camera
- Electromechanical parking brake
- HDD-based Navigation system with real-time traffic information
- Generation 3 MMI system
- Thermo heated/cooled cupholder
- Bang & Olufsen 505W 14-speaker sound system
|LAND ROVER LR2||177.1”||75.1”||68.5”||104.7”|
|MY09 LEXUS RX350||186.2”||72.6”||66.1”||106.9”|
|MY10 LEXUS RX350||187.8”||74.2”||66.5”||107.9”|
Launch Timing and Pricing for the United States
- Audi Q5 went on sale February 20, 2009 as a 2009 model year vehicle, with quattro all-wheel drive standard and its base MSRP in line with its luxury competitors at $37,200. It is built in Ingolstadt, Germany, alongside the Audi A4 and A5.
- Audi USA