HUGE congrats to Michael DeNino (our resident Jetta TDI Cup racer/reporter) and his first pole of the season. Not only is he on pole but he was the only driver to go under the 1:00:00 mark.
Racing starts early tomorrow and you can keep up with live timing.
Drop him some comments for today or tomorrows race. He would love to hear from the fans out there!
Complete results after the jump
Michael DeNino secures pole place at Lime Rock race of Jetta TDI Cup.
Michael DeNino, Gaitherburg, Md., secured the pole position today for Saturday’s Jetta TDI Cup race at Lime Rock Park with a best lap time of :59.977. The race, which will take place at 10:30 a.m. tomorrow at the historic track as part of the NASCAR Camping World Series East, marks the fourth race in the clean diesel series and the halfway point of the inaugural season. DeNino is currently ranked 15th in the series overall. Speaking at the driver debrief after qualifying was famed F1 local driver Sam Posey, who offered additional instruction and tips to the up-and-coming drivers.
“I went out there and couldn’t get a really good clean lap in at first, but luckily the lap that ended up being our last was my fastest,” said DeNino. “A lot of it came down to timing and I was fortunate that we just missed the rain. I am really pumped for tomorrow’s race. I’d like to thank Volkswagen, Castrol and all the people that have supported my career so far.”
The qualifying session, run under threatening skies, was abbreviated to gather information on tire wear occurring on the recently repaved Lime Rock circuit. The technical crew was able to evaluate the data learned from the earlier part of the session and will be looking to make adjustments for tomorrows race. Rain then coincided with the official end of the session.
Complete result information of the qualifying race listed below includes position, car number in parentheses, driver, hometown, sponsor and fastest lap time.
- 1, (36), Michael DeNino, Gaithersburg, Md., Castrol, :59.977
- 2, (37), Chris Castagna, Boston, Mass., Bosch, 1:00.061
- 3, (20), Mark Pombo, Duluth, Ga., ful®, 1:00.077
- 4, (11), Josh Hurley(R), Cooper City, Fla., Athletes Performance, 1:00.303
- 5, (17), Timmy Megenbier, Melrose Park, Ill., SCCA, 1:00.323
- 6, (39), Caleb Kenney, Berkeley, Calif., Hoopla, 1:00.353
- 7, (12), Nick Mancuso, Mettawa, Ill., Auto Logistics, 1:00.363
- 8, (5), David Jurca, Federal Way, Wash., Kyosho, 1:00.371
- 9, (18), Jimmy Underhill, Denver, Colo., Bosch, 1:00.405
- 10, (31), Chris Holman, Burlington, Ontario, Kyosho, 1:00.432
- 11, (29), John Shim(R), Starkville, Miss., VW Credit, 1:00.434
- 12, (32), Adam Kretschmer(R), Brampton, Ontario, VW Credit, 1:00.497
- 13, (6), Andy Lee, Colorado Springs, Colo., Red Bull, 1:00.531
- 14, (38), Gary Williams_Jr., Dana Point, Calif., Oakley, 1:00.543
- 15, (42), Derek Jones, Philadelphia, Pa., Oakley, 1:00.544
- 16, (30), Chris Kuenning(R), Grand Rapids, Mich., Aggreko, 1:00.598
- 17, (35), Liam Kenney, Sterling, Va., ViON, 1:00.718
- 18, (2), Adam Crepin(R), St. Louis, Mo., SCCA, 1:00.858
- 19, (33), Evan Pflock(R), Redondo Beach, Calif., SCORE, 1:00.861
- 20, (41), Taylor Broekemeier(R), Fort Collins, Colo., Bondurant, 1:00.950
- 21, (25), Adam Love(R), Normal, Ill., SCORE, 1:01.018
- 22, (4), Juan Pablo SierraLendle, Puebla, Mexico, Aggreko, 1:01.119
- 23, (15), Ryan Buetzer, Long Beach, Calif., ViON, 1:01.202
- 24, (23), Wyatt Dallenbach, San Antonio, Texas, DC United, 1:01.238
- 25, (40), Jake Dallenbach, San Antonio, Texas, Specialty, 1:01.494
- 26, (14), David Richert(R), Niverville MB, Canada, Hoopla, 1:01.594
- 27, (8), David Heinz(R), Pittsburgh, Pa., Pre Loved, 1:01.675
- 28, (16), Chad Brassfield(R), Phoenix, Ariz., UTI, 1:01.694
- 29, (26), Andrew Cordeiro(R), Woodbridge Ont, Canada, Castrol, 1:01.713
- 30, (24), Noah Arundel, Tonka Bay, Minn., Volkswagen P&A, 1:02.554