With a time of 1:19.463, this put Patrick Long and the no45 Flying Lizard Porsche 911 GT3 RSR 4th on grid. With a clean track for all classes, qualifying was all out. Both BMW and Corvette were right there at the top swapping positions with Patrick.
In the end it would be Joey Hand in the no56 BMW on pole (1:19.090), Jan Magnussen in the no4 Corvette (1:19.137) and the second no55 BMW in 3rd (1:19.447).
Long Beach is one of those circuit where qualifying does matter. 11 turns over the 2 mile circuit will make it tough for passing so strategy and tires will play a big role.
Seth Neiman qualified the no44 Flying Lizard Porsche 13th.
Long commented on the session: “Qualifying today went right to plan: the car was hooked up from the start and really consistent. Being in the top five in this field is a great result. The team has done an excellent job leading up to the race in delivering a solid racecar.”
1. Joey Hand (USA), BMW M3 GT, 1:19.090 minutes
2. Jan Magnussen (DK), Chevrolet Corvette, + 0.047 seconds
3. Bill Auberlen (USA), BMW M3 GT, + 0.357
4. Patrick Long (USA), Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, + 0.373
5. Wolf Henzler (D), Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, + 0.975
6. Johannes van Overbeek (USA), Ferrari F458, + 1.077
8. Sascha Maassen (D), Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, + 1.556
13. Seth Neiman (USA), Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, + 6.453