Grand-Am Series, 1st round, 24 Hours of Daytona, USA
You couldn’t ask for a better start to the season! Porsche is off and running in all classes. In GT 10 of the 12 fastest we Porsche GT3′s. Keep it on oneighturbo.com for all your 24 Hours of Daytona news. We’ve also included the live ustream player from TRG in the right column!
A strong start for Porsche at the 24 Hours of Daytona: David Donohue (USA) secured pole position with the Porsche Riley of the Brumos Racing team for the long distance classic in Florida, 40 years after his father, Mark, won here. With a one-thousandth of a second gap, Timo Bernhard (Germany) claimed second in the Penske Racing Porsche Riley. Two Porsche tackle the race from the first row – the first time since 1990.
‘After the hard work our team put into the car, I felt that I owed them a strong qualifying effort,’ said Bernhard before the Grand-Am season-opener. ‘I would rather have taken pole today, but the main thing is that Porsche has the front row.’
In the GT class as well, Porsche pilots were amongst the fastest. With the 911 GT3 Cup fielded by TRG, Andy Lally (USA) qualified on second place ahead of Porsche-junior Martin Ragginger (Austria) competing for the Autometrics Motorsports team. Wolf Henzler (Germany), reigning GT2 champion of the American Le Mans Series, occupied fifth position with his Farnbacher Loles Racing 911 GT3 Cup ahead of his team mate Dirk Werner (Germany). Porsche-junior Marco Holzer (Germany) clinched the tenth quickest time for his TRG squad. Of the twelve fastest GT vehicles, ten were Porsche race cars.
The Daytona 24 Hour race starts on Saturday at 15.30 hrs local time (21.30 CET).
- 1. David Donohue (USA), Porsche Riley (DP), 1:40,540 Minute
- 2. Timo Bernhard (D), Porsche Riley (DP), 1:40,541
- 3. Michael Valiante (CAN), Ford Riley (DP), 1:40,651
- 4. Ricardo Zonta (BRA), Ford Lola (DP), 1:40,892
- 5. Ryan Dalziel (USA), BMW Riley (DP), 1:40,915
- 6. Scott Pruett (USA), Lexus Riley (DP), 1:41,016
- 7. Max Angelelli (I), Ford Dallara (DP), 1:41,311
- 8. Scott Dixon (NZ), Lexus Riley (DP), 1:41,316
- 9. Joao Barbosa (P), Porsche Riley (DP), 1:41,375
- 10. Christophe Bouchut (F), BMW Riley (DP), 1:41,569