We’ve seen some great racing in both the GTE-Pro and GTE-Am from the last rounds including Le Mans. Today’s qualifying showed us more of the same from Porsche, BMW, Ferrari and Corvette. GTE-Pro saw the top six in the 1:44′s.
GTE qualifying kicked off first at 10am ET. Luxury Racing Ferrari was first to the top but bumped down Muller in the no55 BMW. Dirk Werner put the no56 BMW M3 into third.
Richard Lietz was the fastest Porsche driver pulling up in 6th with a 1:44.895. Lietz will share the Felbermayr-Proton Porsche 911 GT3 RSR with Marc Lieb.
“The car handled perfectly for that one fast lap,” he said. “I´m happy with the time, nothing else was possible today. Now let´s hope for a good race. We´re facing six hours of tough work so our motto can only be get a good start and then charge to the front.”
Patrick Pilet set the ninth fastest time (1:45.467) in the IMSA Performance Matmut Porsche 911 GT3 RSR. Wolf Henzler will share the duties.
“It wasn´t easy today. You can only turn two really fast laps in qualifying here,” he said. “My first lap was great, but in the second I encountered a lot of traffic and couldn´t improve. The car oversteered a lot, we´ll have to sort this out before the race.”
Prospeed Competition’s Marco Holzer starts from tenth on the grid. His 1:45.767 was + 1.299 off. Marc Goossens will join him for the six hours.
“The qualifying began quite well,” said Marco Holzer. “But of all places in the very quick Turn 5 I encountered a slower car which held me up. Our car felt very good, the lap times were much quicker than during the free practice and that makes me feel more confident for the race.”
USA’s Partick Long had a great run to put the Proton Competition Porsche 911 GT3 RSR on GTE-Am pole. Long set a 1:45.650 which was .256 faster than Marco Cioco in the Ferrari F430. Nicolas Armindo was fourth +0.633 back.
GTE Pro class
1. Jorg Müller (D), BMW M3, 1:44.468 minutes
2. Dirk Werner (D), BMW M3, + 0.215 seconds behind
3. Jaime Melo (BR), Ferrari F458 Italia, + 0.223
4. Frederic Makowiecki (F), Ferrari F458 Italia, + 0.257
5. Robert Bell (GB), Ferrari F458 Italia, + 0.262
6. Richard Lietz (A), Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, + 0.427
9. Patrick Pilet (F), Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, + 0.999
10. Marco Holzer (D), Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, + 1.299
GTE Am class
1. Patrick Long (USA), Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, 1:45.650 minutes
2. Marco Cioci (I), Ferrari F430, + 0.256 seconds behind
3. Michele Rugolo (I), Ferrari F 430, + 0.569
4. Nicolas Armindo (F), Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, + 0.633