Jason Plato, driving a SEAT Leon, has won today’s (Sunday) opening round of the Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship at Brands Hatch, Kent.
Plato, aged 39 from Oxford, started second but took the lead at the start and was never headed in a race that included two safety car periods. Plato, the 2001 champion, also set the race’s fastest lap.
Second and third, both in BMW 320sis, were Team RAC’s Colin Turkington (Portadown), who had started from pole position, and newcomer Mat Jackson (Henley-in-Arden), driving for his own Jacksons MSport team.
Reigning champion Matt Neal (Droitwich) rose from eighth to finish a strong fourth in his Team Halfords squad’s new Honda Civic.
Result (27 laps):
1. Jason Plato (GBR), SEAT Sport UK/SEAT Leon, 24m57.801s
2. Colin Turkington (GBR), Team RAC/BMW 320si, +1.237s
3. Mat Jackson (GBR), Team RAC/BMW 320si, +2.757s
4. Matt Neal (GBR), Team Halfords/Honda Civic, +3.956s
5. Mike Jordan (GBR), Eurotech/Honda Integra, +4.226s
6. Tom Onslow-Cole (GBR), Team RAC/BMW 320si, +5.102s
Round 2 of the championship takes place at 13.35 and round 3 at 16.50.
More to follow…